A cyberattack is a type of attack that uses various forms of technology to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system, network, or electronic devices. Cyberattacks can be carried out by individuals, groups, or organizations or even countries and they can target any type of system, including personal computers, servers, networks, and even individual devices. Cyber attacks are often anonymous and often no group takes responsibility.
There are many different types of cyberattacks, but the most common ones include:
- Denial of service attacks (DDOS attack): This type of attack floods a target’s network or system with traffic until it can no longer function. This is often done to sabotage a company or organization by taking down their website or online services.
- Phishing attacks: This type of attack is when an attacker sends fraudulent emails to try and steal personal information like passwords or credit card numbers. The emails can look very real, so it’s important to be careful about what you click on and who you give your information to.
- Ransomware attacks: This type of attack locks down a victim’s computer or files until a ransom is paid. The attacker will often demand payment in bitcoins or other cryptocurrency to unlock the files.
- Hacking: A popular cyber weapon where the attacker can steal data or destroy computer systems. Spyware, trojan horses, worms and viruses are popular tools for hackers.
How to prevent at cyber attack
There are many ways to prevent cyberattacks, but some of the most important ones include:
- Using strong passwords and changing them regularly
- Installing antivirus software and keeping it up-to-date
- Not opening emails from unknown senders
- Being careful about what you click on online
- Protect your integrity and use a VPN service. Check out our guide about the best VPN services of 2022 and you will find a list of services you can try out for personal or business use.
- Use a personal firewall to protect your network
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from cyberattacks and keep your information safe. For more information, visit our website or contact us today.
Famous cyber attacks
Skyfallattack.com was part of series attacks, some not ever realised, with Bond related names like: Meltdown, Spectre, Skyfall and Solace.
These are just a few examples of some of the biggest cyberattacks in history. By being aware of these attacks and taking steps to protect yourself, you can help keep yourself safe from being a victim of a cyber attack.
WannaCry ransomware attack
This attack infected over 230,000 computers in 150 countries in May 2017. The attackers demanded a ransom payment of $300 in bitcoins to unlock the files.
Equifax data breach
This breach affected 143 million Americans and resulted in the theft of personal information like Social Security numbers and driver’s license numbers.
Yahoo data breach
This breach affected all three billion Yahoo accounts and resulted in the theft of user names, email addresses, dates of birth, and hashed passwords.
JPMorgan Chase data breach
This attack happened 2014 and allegedly conducted Russian hackers.